These matcha madeleines are such a sweet and vibrant take on classic madeleines. I absolutely love classic, buttery madeleines as they are, but i also love the fact that the recipe is so versatile that you can put your own twist on it. Matcha madeleine, why not? Want to add some white chocolate? Even better! Add another twist with some glazed cherry and nuts, and suddenly they look slightly festive and extremely beautiful with the contrasting green and red. These matcha madeleines make the all-time best snack to be had with a steaming hot cup of tea. Believe me on this one!
For this recipe, i used culinary matcha from Matcha and Beyond, although you can use any matcha you have available to you! Matcha adds a lovely savoury-ness to otherwise very buttery and sweet madeleines, and creates a really nice balance. I also used Callebaut white chocolate chips, to make the madeleines that bit more decadent- i absolutely LOVE Callebaut chocolate. I won’t lie, i was snacking on the chocolate chips while making these!
All in all, these madeleines are ridiculously easy to make, delicious and beautiful to boot. I can’t think of any reason not to make them!
Matcha, White Chocolate and Cherry Madeleines
- Stand mixer/ electric hand whisk
- madeleine tray or 12 madeleine molds
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 grams golden caster sugar
- 100 grams plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 100 grams melted and cooled butter after melting the butter, make sure to cool for a few minutes before starting to bake!
- 1 tbsp lukewarm water
- 5 pieces glazed cherry
- 150 grams white chocolate chips
- Handful of pistachios, or any other nuts you prefer optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan. Grease madeleine tray with melted butter.
- Whisk together the eggs and the sugar in a bowl until they are combined as a light yellow frothy mixture.
- On a low speed, whisk in the remaining ingredients. It should form a thick, gloopy mixture, but if it is a bit dry, add in another tbsp of water (be careful with this).
- Leave to stand for 20 minutes before carefully pouring into the madeleine tray. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool for ten minutes.
- During this time, put the white chocolate chips in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Make sure you keep an eye on this as they could melt before the one minute is over and you don't want them to burn!
- Also, chop the glazed cherries into very small pieces. You may also chop up some pistachios or other nuts to put on top of the chocolate covered portion of the madeleines, but this is up to you.
- At a slight slant, dip the madeleines one by one into the white chocolate, and line up on a tray or a plate with plenty of space in between.
- Cover the white chocolate sections with the glazed cherry (and nut, if you're using them) pieces.
- Put the madeleines into the fridge for 15 minutes.
- You are done! Once you have taken them out of the fridge, wait 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE AND MY BLOG, PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON MY INSTAGRAM FOR MORE!
If you make any of my recipes, please tag me at @girlwiththematcha and use the hashtag #matcha_girl, i’m always so happy to see your creations!
Subscribe to our newsletter!